Thursday, February 13, 2014

Patty Pick for 2/13/14 is "Whistling Past the Graveyard" by Susan Crandall




After reading some of the glowing reviews in my GoodReads SouthernLit group, I wanted to read this book. Luckily I found a copy at my favorite bookstore, Pelican Book Store. I had not read a Susan Crandall book before and I loved this one! I will definitely be checking out some of her other books. 
The main character, Starla, was one precocious and adorable nine-year-old. The red hair should be a hint to the reader of her fiery personality. She goes on to steal your heart. As she questions the actions and words of those around her, you see the racial tension of the South during the early 1960's. The trials that she goes through in the few weeks we know her will give you quite a few chills and thrills. 
You also come to know her father, grandmother, and her traveling companion, Eula as well as many notable characters. Eula is a black woman who ends up trying to get Starla to her mother in Nashville. She leads Starla thru a series of life lessons in a quiet and unassuming way while dealing with some major trauma herself. But the main thing you should remember is the punky and loving little girl who shows you how to not judge people by their skin color but by their actions. 
Don't miss this book as it is on the level with one my favorite books of all 
time, "To Kill a Mockingbird" but with a memorable little girl. 

No comments:

Post a Comment