Thursday, February 5, 2015

Patty Pick for 2/5/15 is "To Kill A Mockingbird" by Harper Lee








To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee has been one of my favorite books since I read it many years ago. I'm sure it makes many other reader's favorites list! It is so hard to believe that Harper Lee had never chosen to write another book after the success of it. 
The story of Scout, Atticus , Jem and Dill as they interact with the other characters in the small Southern town of Maycomb, Alabama touched a cord with me and many other people. As a true Southerner, born in a North Carolina small town, I could personally relate to some of the eccentric people who populated this town. I thought of my father while reading about Atticus' brave fight against racism. The humor and detailed characters made this book come alive for me.     
Now, we find out that she actually wrote another book before To Kill A Mockingbird
It was announced this week that Harper Lee has a sequel coming out in July. 
Go Set a Watchman brings us the adult Scout as she returns home to Maycomb for a visit with her father, Atticus. This will be one of the most anticipated novels of it's time. It does have a hard act to follow in the first novel, but Harper Lee has her own voice and I 
can't wait to read it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment