Thursday, March 13, 2014

Patty Pick for 3/13/14 is "Sycamore Row" by John Grisham



John Grisham has always been one of my favorite authors. While "The Firm" brought  John Grisham to the notice of the world, his first book will always be his best to me. "A Time to Kill" was so well-written and the storyline was gripping. But the people, like Jake Brigance, felt like a friends in my hometown. Grisham has gone on to write many other best sellers, but that one was my favorite. I just happened to find it after reading "The Firm" and I could not put it down until I read the last page. I wanted to go to Clanton, Mississippi and knock some sense in a few heads. When I heard that John Grisham was writing a sequel I was so excited to find out more from the characters I loved in "A Time to Kill"!

"Sycamore Row" starts off with a suicide and you are off on a fast ride. Jake Brigrance is the perfect small town lawyer. He is ethical but not above finding a way to win a case. He is married to a smart wife and they have the perfect little girl. They all most lost each other when the KKK burned down their house during the trial in "A Time to Kill". That trial is probably why Seth Hubbard chose him to be the one to defend his will. The one Seth wrote before he hung himself. That starts us on a new road down the highway of Jake's life, or I should say a dirt road. 

Seth Hubbard was a very wealthy man by anyone's standards but he is dying of cancer. He is also white and leaves 90% of his estate to his black housekeeper. In small town Mississippi that is unheard of. Everyone assumes the obvious and the fun begins between Jake who is defending the estate and all the other family members and their lawyers. 

Of course, there are surprises and courtroom drama and a lot of southern charm. A John Grisham novel would not be complete without all of the above. But overall this is one good story. As the story gets more twisted,  it's anyone's guess as to the outcome. Don't miss this book. It's not really a sequel, its just another great story by someone who knows Jake inside and out.








No comments:

Post a Comment