Thursday, August 8, 2013

Patty's Pick #1 - "The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks" by Rebecca Skloot!

Here it is - my first pick for your bookshelf! 
"The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks"
By Rebecca Skloot. 
I do not usually choose to read a non-fiction book. 
This book was actually recommended to me by a college 
student, of a friend of mine, who was reading this for her summer college reading choice. I had heard of the book 
but cells and blood did not always appeal to me. 
Turns out this book grabbed me most of the read! 
I learned more about how cells came to be grown in
a lab. These HeLa cells have produced major medical
break throughs. It's hard to believe that in the not too distant past 
quality doctors at top hospitals took patient's cells without permission. 
John Hopkins has always had an impeccable reputation. I found out that the hospital actually began as a hospital to serve indigent people. 
HeLa cells, cells from Henrietta Lack's cancerous tumor, have been 
grown over and over again.  They were the first human cells reproduced 
in a lab. And one do the most amazing parts of this book 
is to learn that Henrietta's family had no idea for many years and never received compensation. Just recently they have been allowed to be involved 
in the choice of some research involving HeLa cells via an agreement with 
the National Institute of Health. This book reads like part thriller and part textbook. But the textbook is very easy to understand. Please
Add this book to your list! 

No comments:

Post a Comment